Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Beneficial exercise or physical torture?


Tonight I attended my first exercise session at a local fitness centre (they don't call them "gymnasiums" these days).
I was taken through the 1-hour program by a very nice bloke, a few years younger than I.
Tony had a quadruple-bypass about 4 years ago, took up regular exercise after the operation and became an instructor at the centre. Because of his age and personal background he is the ideal person to set and oversee the program.

It was a fun regime, involving about six different pieces of equipment, with an emphasis on increasing bone density, burning fat and improving overall muscle tone.
A tiring, but enjoyable hour that I found to be very satisfying. I didn't realise how much I had missed regular physical exercise.

Of course, tomorrow morning, I may well reverse my opinion when I find my muscles refuse to work without creating enormous amounts of pain all over my body.

2 comments:

  1. I do 4 machines a couple times a week. I try to do 45 minutes to an hour on the treadmill 5 days a week. It gets easier :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tom, that's another "something I've learned" about you! :)
    Thanks for the encouragement, too.
    I'm back again tomorrow night (Thursday) and again on the weekend. Three times a week to start with.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and feedback are most welcome