Saturday, March 28, 2009

Beyond the Wha-a-at?!

How does one choose a name for a blog?
In considering this important question this morning I ran through several obvious titles, discarding them all.
I thought "Bruce's Place" probably the dullest of the lot and when on my second cuppa coffee, it came to me....

TAAAH-DAAAAH!

"Beyond the Blue Horizon"!

Why?
Two reasons...

"Beyond the blue horizon
Waits a beautiful day
Goodbye to things that bore me
Joy is waiting for me".
  • The book of the same title, by Alexander Frater, is a marvellous tale of the author, using modern airlines, retracing the route taken in the pre-war years by the Short S.23 flying-boats of Imperial Airways along the "Empire Route" between England and Australia/New Zealand. It was an adventure, a journey of discovery, a wonderful, spirit-enhancing, uplifting experience. Just like this blog.


So there you have it - the thinking that went behind the choice of blog-title.
(That should give you some idea of what you might come across here as time passes.)
Incidentally, I took the heading photo in August 2008. Angourie Beach - a world-famous surfing beach - is just south of Yamba, on the NSW north coast. Yamba is one of the most beautiful locations on the Australian coast. I want to be there.

EDIT:
In May of 2014, some five years after this initial entry, we arrived in Yamba, our new hometown.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are most welcome