Wednesday, April 1, 2009

34 Keswick Street, Cowra


In June 2008 I was successful in tracking down the address in Cowra at which we lived when I was between 6-months and 3-years of age.
I was curious about what might be at 34 Keswick Street - maybe the old home had been torn down, replaced by a service station or a block of flats or something. Other than a couple of old small, sepia-toned and faded snapshots taken by my mother, showing the backyard and part of the front veranda, I had no idea what the place looked like.

You can imagine my amazement when I pulled up in front of the residence shown in the photograph (if you click on the image you will get a larger view).
Unfortunately the owner and his wife were not there on the Saturday morning that I arrived unannounced, but the kindly neighbour saw me and, after introductions, showed me around the outside of the house, which is listed on the National Heritage Trust.

I don't think we could have had the whole place back then (1946 - 1948), as it is way too big for just two parents and one child. I reckon it was a twin-tenancy, with the house effectively becoming two apartments.
I was able to match the old photos with the positions from where they were taken so long ago and sure enough, apart from new paint, the architecture is identical.

I feel as if I can say with some truth that, for part of my life, I lived in a mansion!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are most welcome