Sunday, November 28, 2010

A Grand Day Out

Quite recently I had reason to travel to Cabramurra and Khancoban, via Cooma.
The weather was superb - a beautiful late-spring day with hardly a cloud in the sky.
I left home at a bit after 7:00 AM and headed out along the Monaro Highway and, after Cooma, the Snowy Mountains Highway and the The Link Road to Cabramurra and then Tooma Road & the Alpine Way to Khancoban.
The recent excellent rains have turned the landscape from brown to green. A beautiful sight.

Not far from Bredbo and just about where the Queanbeyan - Cooma railway line first crossed the Monaro Highway.........


After Bredbo, heading towards Chakola

Near the Numeralla River, at Chakola

The long straight (Billilingra) that runs for about 4.5km over the crests and dips

On the other side of Cooma and I turned onto the Snowy Mountains Highway.....one of THE best driving roads I've ever had the pleasure to travel.



This last shot was taken as I approached the turnoff from Tooma Road onto the Alpine Way, about 5 kms out of Khancoban.


The return trip took me through Tumbarumba, Tumut and Gundagai, where I joined the Hume Highway.
By the time I arrived back home - around 7:00 PM that night - I was very tired but it was a wonderful drive, with hardly any traffic until I hit the Hume at Gundagai. But at least by that point I could invoke cruise control and relax somewhat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are most welcome