Saturday, August 28, 2010

The GT200 arrives home!


 
Today I rode the Vespa home after being phoned yesterday to say that it was all fettled and serviced and ready to become mine.
So I had a most enjoyable ride, on a beautiful clear, calm sunny end-of-winter's day, taking the long way home. It was a delightful experience and I've fallen for this little Italian lady in a big way.

Tomorrow I will take some photos and I s'pose I'll have to choose an appropriate name for her.
"Sophia" is too obvious, as is "Audrey" (Hepburn, from the classic movie, "Roman Holiday").
So I was thinking perhaps "Gina" (Lollobrigida - another curvaceous Italian from my era).....

She actually rode a scooter (a Lambretta, not a Vespa...but that doesn't matter, it was Italian) as a pillion passenger behind Rock Hudson in the 1961 movie, "Come September"........
 
That's her, below....on the right, peering over Rock's shoulder. (That's Bobby Darin and wife Sandra Dee on the left.)
But no......the more I thought about it the more I just wanted a female name to dovetail nicely with the word "Vespa", so maybe it should start with a 'V'.
"Virginia Vespa"? No....doesn't roll off the tongue, really.
"Violet", no. "Valerie", no.
I ran through all the girls names beginning with 'V' that I could think of and came up with nothing that I liked.
So "Gina" it is!
_______________________________________________
These photos below were taken today - Sunday 29th. August - after I had ridden 86 kilometres for no reason other than to ride for an hour or so. It was a sparkling morning - the final couple of days of winter (officially, that is) - and the two shots below were taken atop Red Hill, where I paused for a coffee which didn't eventuate because the cafe doesn't open until 11:00 AM.
Other than that, it was a perfect morning and Gina Vespabrigida performed wonderfully.
(Click for much larger images)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments and feedback are most welcome